Monday, November 12, 2012

FORMAL LETTERS

USEFUL EXPRESSIONS TO USE
BUSINESS VOCABULARY


REMEMBER 
In a formal letter, avoid contractions when possible eg. Use "I am" instead of "I'm" Use the present simple instead of the present continuous when possible Use the conditional Use less colloquial English Construct indirect, impersonal sentences eg. "It would be a good idea . ." instead of "I think it would be a good idea . . ." 


COMMON EXPRESSIONS 
Could you please . . . I would be most grateful if you could . . . Please find enclosed a check for . . . I enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope. I look forward to hearing from you soon. 

FORMAL OR INFORMAL LETTER ? 
The following expressions are classified according to their degree of formality : 

Formal : 
I would be most grateful if you could . . . 
I apologize for the delay in replying to your letter but . . . 
Thank you for your letter of the 15 January. 
Would it be possible to telephone me as soon as possible? 
Would it be convenient if I arrived at 7 p.m.? 
I look forward to meeting you at your earliest convenience. 
I look forward to hearing from you soon. 
++ I would very much appreciate an early reply. 
+ I request a prompt reply. 
May I suggest that we . . . 
It would give me great pleasure to attend . . . 
++ I regret that I am unable to attend . . . 
+ Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend 
I will send full particulars . . . 

Informal : 
- I'd be grateful if you could . . . 
- It would be nice if you could 
I'm sorry for not answering sooner, but . . . 
Thanks for your last letter. 
Phone me as soon as possible. 
Would it be alright if I came at 7 p.m.? 
Looking forward to getting together again soon. 
I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon. 
Please reply quickly. 
It would be a good idea to . . . 
I'd be happy to attend . . . 
Unfortunately, I won't be able to come . 
I'll let you know all the details . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment